Lee E. Tansey, P.E., P.S.   


Permits are required to ensure work within road right-of-ways meets Huron County standards.  No one shall perform any type of construction or disturb the road right-of-way on a County maintained roadway without first obtaining a permit from the Huron County Engineer. After receiving a permit, the owner is to call Ohio Utilities Protection Service (OUPS)at 1-800-362-2764 and Oil and Gas Producers Underground Protection Service (OGPUPS) at 1-800-929-0988 to obtain the location of all underground utilities prior to construction.

The Huron County Engineer's Office has a permit application process. The office requires permits for all work done privately within a county road's right-of-way. Permits are required for installation of driveways, utility work, roadside ditch enclosures, tapping into roadside drainage tiles and any other activities within the right-of-way. 

Applications can be obtained at the Huron County Engineer's Office, 150 Jefferson Street, Norwalk, Ohio, 44857. The office phone number is (419) 668-1997 ext. 103.  You may also download a permit below. All application materials are in a PDF format. No forms are to be submitted online. To view PDF documents you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader. Applications are to be printed on 8 1/2 x 11 paper and submitted with payment.

 ***NO building permits or zoning inspections are done by the Huron County Engineer's Office.***

For zoning questions or permits for ditch enclosures, utility installation or other work done within township road rights-of-way contact your Township Zoning Inspector.

For lot splits contact the Huron County Tax Map Department at 419-668-2021 or the Huron County Planning Commission at 419-668-4113, choose option 3.

For access along State or US Routes or other State or US Route issues, contact the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) at 419-668-5102.


Find your application here:



Permit Type



(Click to open)

Utility Permit

$0 Utilities Permit

Driveway by Contractor Permit 

$100 Drive Permit - Contractor

Driveway by County Crew Permit

TBD Drive Permit - County Crew

Ditch Enclosure by Contractor Permit

$150 Ditch Enclosure - Contractor
Connection to Existing Tile Per $50 Existing Tile Permit


Bridge Restrictions

2022 Bridge Restriction Map

Click here for Bridge Restrictions Map


Job Application

Click the link below to view our job application.

Job Application


Land Conveyance Standards

Click the link below to view Huron County Land Conveyance Standards

Land Conveyance Standards


Subdivision Regulations

Click the link below to view Huron County Subdivision Regulations

Huron County Subdivision Regulations